Degenerate Gamblers
John and I went to at Saratoga Racetrack on Saturday, August 18, one of only 6 Saturdays this is possible each year. It's a spiffy place. It's the oldest Grade I horse-racing venue in the United States, and the owners have done a magnificent job of preserving all of the stuff people did a much better job at building in 1863. Even the modern drinking fountains have the original wooden white and red "Water Cooler" signs to direct your attention to them. I love that!
We found ourselves a nice little piece of real estate at the top of the stretch. In front of me is, well, the top of the stretch (the final turn before the finish line, I've deduced ... please correct me if I'm wrong). Saratoga Racetrack also has a large area immediately when you enter the park with tall coniferous trees and a nice bed of pine needles where spectators enjoyed shade and a lovely piney smell for most of the afternoon. You could see the horses as they were led to the gates from here, but the stands blocked any view of the races themselves. Many of the spectators seemed oblivious to the racing going on there, and seemed to be meeting up with friends and family for their annual day of picnics and bloody Marys.
Behind us was a dirt path on which the horses were led to the gates. I was able to assess the musculature and spirit of several horses from this vantage point, none of which went on to win, place, or show.
The 'springs' in Saratoga Springs refers to natural hot and cold mineral springs that occur locally. Spas built around them provided another foundation for tourism in the area. We sampled these at Saratoga Springs state park. The still spring water was cool and sweet. The taste of the healing mineral water can best be described as poopy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home