Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rock to Rock

I just wanted to put in a quick plug for this great event for which I volunteered in late April, mostly just because I got this great photo of New Haven Mayor John DeStefano all bike-geared-up:
I am so in favor of activities that promote awareness of cycling, because in my experience inadequate public education is the thing that keeps more people from riding their bikes in cities. I could say more about this, but it would go on for 10 posts. What really impressed me about Rock to Rock, even more than the spiffy green T-shirt I got, is their thoughtfulness about adhering to their stated goal. How many times do you attend an event like this, with a purported purpose that has some environmental component, and scratch your head at the hundreds of wastebaskets filled with half empty mini-water bottles, provided unlimited and free of charge by the event organizers? (I must take a moment here to disclose my hatred of bottled water, so perhaps this gets on my nerves ridiculously more than it gets on your nerves. But certainly you get my point?) The thoughtful and thorough organizers of Rock to Rock, composed of paid staff and unpaid board members from organizations such as friends of various New Haven parks and Common Ground, did not fail to notice this irony. Instead of providing *bottled water,* they provided a water bottle, which participants could fill as much as they wanted, from big ole reusable jugs of water. And not just any water bottle! A compostable, biodegradable water bottle! Huzzah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home